Pure Comparative Negligence: Unpacking California’s Approach to Fault in Car Accidents

In the diverse and often complicated legal landscape of car accidents in California, understanding the principle of “Pure Comparative Negligence” is key. This rule governs how fault is determined and compensation awarded in the aftermath of a motor vehicle accident in the Golden State.

Understanding Pure Comparative Negligence

In California, the doctrine of Pure Comparative Negligence is used to determine who is financially responsible for damages stemming from a car accident. Under this law, each party involved in the accident can be assigned a percentage of fault. The compensation that a party is entitled to receive will then be reduced by that percentage.

Implications of Pure Comparative Negligence

The practical implication of this law is that even if you are 99% at fault for an accident, you still have the right to pursue the other party for the 1% of your damages for which they were responsible. This distinguishes California’s approach from some other states, where you may be barred from recovery if you’re found to be more than 50% or 51% at fault.

Applying Pure Comparative Negligence in a Lawsuit

In a car accident lawsuit in California, the jury will determine the total amount of the plaintiff’s damages and the percentage of fault that belongs to each party. The plaintiff’s total recovery will then be reduced by their percentage of fault. For example, if a plaintiff suffers $100,000 in damages and is found to be 25% at fault, their recovery will be reduced by $25,000, resulting in a net recovery of $75,000.

The Role of Legal Counsel in Comparative Negligence Cases

Given the complexities of Pure Comparative Negligence and its potential impact on compensation, seeking legal counsel is advisable. A seasoned personal injury lawyer can meticulously analyze the facts of your case, develop a strategy to minimize your percentage of fault, and work tirelessly to maximize your potential recovery. Their expertise can be instrumental in navigating California’s complex car accident laws and achieving a favorable outcome.

Understanding the legal intricacies of car accidents in California involves getting a handle on the state’s application of “Pure Comparative Negligence.” This legal principle significantly influences how liability is allocated and damages awarded following a motor vehicle incident.

Grasping Pure Comparative Negligence

The legal doctrine of Pure Comparative Negligence governs how responsibility is assigned in a car accident in California. Under this principle, each party involved in the incident may be attributed a certain degree of fault, expressed as a percentage. The total damages that each party can recover will then be diminished by their respective percentage of fault.

Impacts and Ramifications of Pure Comparative Negligence

The practical implications of this law are far-reaching. In California, even if you are held to be 99% at fault for an accident, you can still seek compensation from the other party for the 1% of your damages they caused. This is markedly different from the approach in many other states, where being more than 50% or 51% at fault can bar you from any recovery.

Implementing Pure Comparative Negligence in Legal Proceedings

In the context of a California car accident lawsuit, the jury’s role is pivotal. They are tasked with determining the total dollar amount of the plaintiff’s damages and assigning a percentage of fault to each party involved. The plaintiff’s total recovery amount is then reduced according to their percentage of fault. For instance, if the jury awards a plaintiff $100,000 in damages, but the plaintiff is found 25% at fault, the plaintiff’s net recovery is reduced to $75,000.

Navigating Comparative Negligence with a Lawyer’s Expertise

Given the complexities and potential implications of the Pure Comparative Negligence rule, enlisting the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer can be highly beneficial. An attorney well-versed in this area of law can critically assess your case, strategize to minimize your percentage of fault, and advocate for the maximum possible compensation. Their expert guidance can prove invaluable in successfully navigating the complexities of California’s car accident laws.

Get in touch with an attorney today at the Neumann Law Group for help with your case.


Reach them at:




Mailing Address

Traverse City

300 E Front St #445

Traverse City, MI 49684


Phone: (231) 221-0050

Fax: (231) 221-0051




Grand Rapids


250 Monroe Ave NW, #400

Grand Rapids, MI 49503


Phone: (616) 717-5666

Fax: (231) 221-0051





400 Renaissance Center #2600

Detroit, MI 48243


Phone: (248) 216-1660

Fax: (231) 221-0051


Contact Information